A Must-Have Film Cameras Review
There are a number of camera brands you find at the stores, but the issue of which product should make the list of must-have film cameras can be tricky when choosing your perfect camera. When compared with digital cameras, the film camera comes with a distinctiveness that cannot be overlooked.
The 8×10″ large format output is such that no digital camera is yet to replicate. Among the most reviewed film cameras, you will find the Leica M-Class with the M1, M2, M3 to M9 having their distinct appeal. Other brands like the Pentax K1000, Minolta X-700, Olympus OM-1, the Canon AE-1 and the Nikon FM2, all have their edge and points of note.
Here we can look at all of these must-have film cameras in closer detail:
The reputation of the Pentax K1000 is huge and has been tagged for good reasons as the photography tank. So, it makes an entry on the list of must-have film cameras. It is an all-metal frame brand though it is simple to operate.
- Its settings are manual and easy to master.
- It is comparatively a low-cost
- The parts are easy to find and cheap.
As one of the last manual focus SLR cameras prior to the introduction of the autofocus camera from Minolta, this camera is competing against Canon AE1 and other ones that are on this list.
This camera comes with the reputation as the best manual focus camera on the Minolta range.
It is easy to shoot with as it possesses possibly the brightest and best viewfinder.
It was built with manual and automatic controls.
The lens selection is quite a job to work with except you have MC mount lenses or Minolta’s MD.
This brand has been described as compact, and not to mention, its incredible quality. The Olympus comes with its global reckoning and can’t be ignored.
- The body is compact and lightweight.
- It is affordable and easily sourced parts are available at cheap rates.
- Anyone on a budget will love this pick.
The Canon AE-1
The Canon AE-1 comes next on the list of must-have film cameras and it is one of the best-known brands on the planet. It is considered as the position holder between hobbyists and die-hard professional photographers.The Canon AE-1 was built with sturdy and is reliable.
- It is also affordable.
- The lenses are famous and incredible in use.
- The parts are easy to source and cheap.
Canon Canonet QL17 GIII
This camera was built with a fixed lens and has a reputation as the rangefinder camera of a best-selling capacity.
- It has a light meter that is built-in.
- It has sharp lenses of 40mm range with a capacity similar to the costlier Leica model.
- This camera is super compact and lightweight.
- It is built and encased in metal shells.
- It has aesthetic and appealing
- Its good looks translate to really awesome pictures in use.
- It is a great fit for street photography and you will probably never hope for another brand in this regard.
- Its light meters are, however, not accurate and this is one downside that comes with it. Obviously, you can get smart and download apps online that will remedy this.
The Nikon FM2 is regarded as a workhorse on the list of must-have film cameras and I have no reason to give it a second thought.
- It is easy to use and reliable
- It was designed with a shutter speed that is simply incredible.
- It comes with a mechanical shutter and accurate metering.
- The Nikon FM2 comes with endless photography possibilities.
- The FM2 is a clean-cut camera with a huge mass-appeal.
- It is reliable and trusted by professional users as well as leisure photographers across the globe.
Leica M6 TTL
The M6 is one probably the best of the M-mount choices from the stables of Leica. It comes with a meter although it is a mechanical camera. Leica is reputed to have started the film revolution of the 35mm range and the lenses of the M-class range are the greatest in my estimation.It is fully manual and easy to operate.
- Its simplicity perhaps stands it out.
- It can go to work without its meter.
- It is affordable and has an appeal among professionals.
These are a few top 35mm film cameras beloved by many photographers. If you decide to purchase of them, you won't regret it. Each camera has its unique style and features. The choice is really up to you.